Monday, June 13, 2016

Kelsey Chown joins CoxHealth Family Medicine Forsyth clinic


Kelsey Chown, PA-C

CoxHealth is pleased to announce that Kelsey Chown, PA-C, is now seeing patients at the CoxHealth Family Medicine Forsyth clinic.

Chown, who completed her education at Missouri State University, is board certified by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants and specializes in family medicine. By law, all physician assistants are required to have a supervising physician. Chown was first selected by Dr. Markus Kryger to practice at the Forsyth clinic. Sadly, Dr. Kryger passed away in April only weeks after Chown began her mentorship. Since Dr. Kryger’s passing, Chown was chosen to work under Dr. Jeremy Mabe.

“Kelsey Chown is a capable and caring physician assistant with tremendous potential,” Dr. Mabe said. “Following in the footsteps of the beloved Dr. Kryger, who hand-picked her for this role, Kelsey is eager to lead the residents of the Forsyth area to a state of greater health and wellness.”

Chown said she learned many valuable lessons from Dr. Kryger during the  time she was able to work with him.

“For Dr. Kryger, medicine was not a 9-5 job,” she said. “Dr. Kryger took an active role in his patients’ lives. He was not just their doctor. He was a close friend. I’m thankful I had time to work with him so I was able to have insight into how he expects his patients to be treated. I plan to continue that level of care. I know Dr. Kryger left me with big boots to fill, but I plan to make him proud.”

Chown is looking forward to collaborating with Dr. Mabe.

“Dr. Mabe and I will work as a team and together, I’m confident we can provide really great patient care,” she said.

Chown was still in high school when she was inspired to pursue a career in medicine.

“My younger brother was diagnosed with cancer when I was in high school,” Chown explained. “At that time, I was taking anatomy and physiology. I was able to research and better understand what was happening and why. For me, I enjoyed the learning aspect of it. During that time, I also had the opportunity to see the other side of medicine. So many people were a part of my brother’s journey and had a positive impact on his life. For me, I want to be a part of someone else’s journey, help them be well and enjoy life to the fullest.”

When not working, Chown enjoys playing piano, participating in triathlons, reading and traveling.

CoxHealth Forsyth Family Medicine is now open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Wednesday; 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Thursday; and 8 a.m. to noon Friday. To schedule an appointment with Chown, call 417-546-3500.