Thursday, October 8, 2015

We're taking charge: Gisele Bauman's story

Whenever Gisele Bauman looks up while at her desk, she’s reminded that breast cancer didn’t keep her from doing what she wanted to do. That’s because of a shadow box on her wall, one celebrating the first marathon she ever ran – a marathon she was training for when she was diagnosed with breast cancer.

But that diagnosis didn’t deter her plans. “I actually went ahead and ran that marathon eight weeks after my mastectomy,” says Gisele. “The day I got home from the marathon, I...started chemo.”

Running isn’t Gisele’s only hobby. The 51-year-old is mom to three kids, loves to travel – Venice is her favorite destination – and has worked at CoxHealth for 24 years, where she’s responsible for the system’s laboratories.

Those things, coupled with the distractions of everyday life, made it easy for Gisele to postpone getting the crucial mammogram that caught her tumor. But after a friend was diagnosed with breast cancer, she made the appointment and was so glad she did. “I had an aggressive tumor, so had we not caught it when we did, I don’t think I’d have the encouraging prognosis that I have,” says Gisele.

And things are encouraging now – Gisele is cancer-free and has been for nearly three years. But the diagnosis has helped her see some aspects of life a little differently. “I think it certainly reinforces that none of us has any guarantee,” says Gisele. “Not to sound cliché, but it’s about appreciating what you have right now because it can change quickly.”

And right now, you can get a mammogram. Just call 417-269-LADY (Springfield) 417-348-8313 (Branson) or 417-354-1138 (Monett) or click here for more information: http://bit.ly/1MbqCTy