Monday, August 3, 2015

Partners Spirit honoree: Pat Long


PARTNERS Spirit recognizes an employee, volunteer, physician or Cox College nursing student who has made a significant contribution to the benefit of CoxHealth, an individual or the community. PARTNERS behaviors generally demonstrate everyday excellence or exceed the employee's normal job duties.

Pat Long, Volunteer Services, Springfield

From the nomination: “A couple of months ago, my father dropped off my mother at Cox North and told her he would be back shortly. He left to run some errands and while he was gone, he had a heart attack and passed away. My mother was sitting in the lobby waiting for him to pick her up. They don’t have a cell phone, so she did not know what was going on.

Pat passed by her several times and spoke to her each time. At lunch, Pat asked if she would like something to eat. Since my mother did not have any money, she said no. Pat went to the cafeteria and brought my mom lunch anyway. Pat visited with her that afternoon and finally asked if she could take her home.

My mother lives in Lebanon and Pat drove her home, where Pat asked to help her inside. There was a message on the answering machine from my mom’s sister. Pat was able to call my aunt when she was informed of my dad’s passing. Pat took my mother to my aunt’s house where she was given the news. My family is very touched by Pat’s kindness and compassion. Thank you, Pat.”